The Bell Trading Company was founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1932 by Jack Michelson and his wife Mildred. They sold Native American Indian jewelry at various tourist locations in the southwestern United States until 1972.
Their main competitor was Maisel’s Indian Trading Post who merged with Bell Trading Company in 1935.
The Bell company got its name from Jack’s wife, whose maiden name was Bell.
The types of jewelry sold by Bell Trading included sterling silver, nickel silver, gold, and copper.
Over the years numerous hallmarks were used on items sold by Bell Trading. The hallmarks typically included the image of a bell or that of an arrow sign post with a bell sign hanging from it. Shown here a just a few of Bell Trading Company’s hallmarks.
According to a reader who researched the trademark records, the mark “Bell Jewelry” (top middle picture below) was first used in 1935.
The “Arrow post hanging bell sign” (top right, middle, and bottom left pics below) was first used in 1961.